Sunday, August 14, 2011

Line.

There is not a book that tells you when to stop. When to tap out and leave the game, whatever game that may be. In some ways, we search our whole lives attempting to figure out which battles to fight, which hills to die on, and when to turn the other cheek.

Many poets, songwriters and lovers tell endless stories about the struggle between the 'heart' and the mind. Many lives were lived focusing on satisfying one over the other. Romeo, Juliet, Hitler, Spartans and Martin Luther King, Jr. But where was the line that they found... where is that spot in the sand... when was the moment that they decided they needed to stop? and why?

I think it is possible to spend your entire life loving somebody who does not even know you exist-- hello, have you ever heard a country song?!

Seriously though... where is that line? How many times can a person be shrugged off before they stop attempting to be a friend?

3 comments:

  1. Not Hallie. Just in general... I know a lot of people have come both in and out of your life over the past couple years, too. So, how do you know where the line is marking goodbye? It is difficult.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess I look at how much I've put in, and how much I get out. If it's close, great. If it's a huge disparity, I have to leave in the name of self preservation. Just today I got an email back from a guy: I asked him if we were still going to hang out later this week and if he was feeling ill. It was a few well-crafted, sincere sentences. He wrote back "no I'm feeling better."

    Hm. I think I'm done there.

    ReplyDelete